Sunday 23 November 2014

Susan Knaap

Susan Knaap is a New Zealand artist whose artistic career has spanned over two decades. During that time her art has traversed the styles of realism, impressionism, expressionism and abstraction. It is the latter which she now focuses on and through which she experiences the greatest amount of creative freedom.

“The process of becoming an artist has taught me how important it is to create work that reflects who I am so that I can move beyond mere craftsmanship and share something of myself in what I do. I find that abstraction – where I am able to focus purely on colour, shapes and mark-making – allows me to do that more readily.

While I don’t set out to paint to a specific brief, the concepts I gravitate to inevitably make their presence felt both in the process of painting and in the finished work – in particular, the broad, intangible themes that underlie life itself – concepts of time and timelessness, concealment and revelation, mystery and transformation, order and chaos.”
Susan’s paintings are lush, multi-layered works rendered in multiple mediums. Her approach is largely intuitive, where the process of painting itself dictates the painting’s direction. Susan’s artwork is defined by a distinctive combination of quiet, pared down areas of colour juxtaposed with fresh, vibrant mark making.




No comments:

Post a Comment