Tuesday 18 November 2014

Ursula E. Rettich - Sea to Canvas

Growing up on the small Island of Sylt, hence the studio name "SEA TO CANVAS", a remote place in the German North Sea. It was the nature, the freedom and the mystery of this place what influenced and inspired me: frequently my live and certainly my paintings.

Over time I painted in different styles always pushing forward to get my own character onto every canvas and of course the contents - depending on what live presented to me but I always came back to a free fast brushstroke. This suited me best.

My art is abstract because feelings, dreams, and illusions do not have forms or boundaries. There is nothing more exciting than an empty canvas and the need to use my brush- sponge- pallet knife- etc. to fill it with colors.

I like to give color a certain independence and liberty in my work. I see a picture, say – a landscape – I connect it with my inner emotional space to establish color and shape in my mind but the base of my vision is still the landscape.

What I commit to canvas is an effort to capture both the external picture and my internal response through colour and shape.




No comments:

Post a Comment